Dear Students
I am doing at my level best to give you an easy and comprehensive service. Yet there are chances of errors. If you notice any such mistakes, please write to me on following address.
naimatnf@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lesson No. 20 - My Mother

My Mother
(Ann Taylor)

Who sat and watched my infant head,
When sleeping on my cradle bed
And tears of sweet affection shed?
My Mother.
Who dressed me in clothes nice and gay
And fondly taught me how to play
And minded all I had to say?
My Mother
Who ran to help me when I feel,
And would some pretty story tell,
Or kiss my head to make me well
My Mother
And can I ever cease to be
Affectionate and kind to thee,
Who was so very kind to me,
My Mother
When thou art feeble, old and grey
My healthy arm shall be thy stay
And I will soothe thy pains away
My Mother

Word
Meanings
.
Cradle
An infant's bed esp. on rockers

Affection
Love, good feelings

Fondly
Caress

Minded
Inclined to do or heed to

Cease
Come or bring to an end, to stop

Feeble
Weak, lacking energy

Stay
Support

Soothe
To comfort, calm

Notes:
The poetess expresses her deep love for her mother. She is telling herself that it was her mother who was always with her and who watched her when as a child she dozed off to sleep in her cradle.

The mother dressed her up in nice and gay clothes and played with her when the poetess was a small child. The mother attentively listened to all that she talked and had to say to her.

The mother told her a nice story and kissed her forehead when the chilled fell and hurt herself. There is no end to the love and care that the mother has given to her when she was small and was growing up.

She says she can never think of being less affectionate and kind to her mother.
When her mother is old, feeble and weak, the poetess feels that it is her duty to look after her and comfort her in her healthy strong arms.
Thee, thou, thy are poetic expression, used in old English for second persons.

Thee ) you
Thou ) you

Thou are : you are

Thy : your

Thine : yours

Questions
1. What are poetess feelings about her mother as a small child?
Ans: When she was a small child, her mother loved her dearly. When she was an infant and slept soundly in a cradle, her mother sat near the cradle and watched her. She kissed her forehead and shed the tears of love.

2. What all does she remember about her mother's care when she fell?
Ans: The poetess ever remember about her mother's care when she fell. She ran and lifted her. She loved her and encouraged her. She told her a beautiful story. She kissed her forehead to make her well.

3. How is the poetess planning to treat her mother in her old age?
Ans: Her mother brought her up very dearly and kindly. She looked after her carefully. Now she is old, feeble and weak. The poetess feels that it is her duty to serve her mother carefully. She loved her mother dearly and wants to comfort her. She wants to support her weak body with her strong arms.

4. Express your feelings about your mother or father in a short essay of 200 words.
Double negatives:
Ans: My Mother
The word "Mother" means her, affection, sympathy, devotion and an unselfish companion, a soothing figure, a consoling body. My mother, my dear mother is the symbol of all these qualities.

When I was a small child she loved me dearly. She protected me against every harmful thing or action. She taught me how to walk and talk. Whenever I bean to weep due to any reason she loved me, kissed my forehead and did every thing to comfort me till I stopped weeping. Once I fell ill and could not sleep for three nights, she passed those three sleep9less and restless nights with me. She looked after and nursed me till I recovered. She prayed to God for my recovery. She told me beautiful stories to comfort me in my trouble.
She gave me delicious and nourishing food to eat. She dressed me up in nice and gay clothes.

There is no end to the love and care that the mother had given to me when I was a small child. She brought me up lovely and kindly. She taught me good manners of life. Now I am a grown up school going boy. She wakes me up early in the morning. She sends me to the mosque for Fajir prayers. She prepares my breakfast and I reach school in time. She helps me in doing my homework. She does my many works.

I love my dear mother very much. I have determined that when my mother will be old, I will serve her whole heartedly and I will obey her every order. May my mother live long!

Double Negatives:

Words containing NO or NOT are called negatives.
Example: No, not, nobody, nothing, nowhere, none, none, not ever.

Note: Two negatives should never be used together in the same sentence.

Examples:
Wrong: He did not tell me nothing about her.
Right: He did not tell me anything about her.

Or

He told me nothing about her.

EXERCISES

Q:1 Choose the correct word from the pair given below to complete each sentence.

Example:
1. nothing, anything
(a) Javed did not tell his father anything about it.
(b) Javed told his father nothing about it.

2. Nowhere, anywhere
(a) We could not find the book anywhere.
(b) The book was nowhere to be found.

3. nothing, anything
(a) The passenger did not pay the coolie anything for his help.
(b) The passenger paid the coolie nothing for his help.

4. Never, ever.
(a) Don't you ever get tired of sewing clothes?
(b) Do you never get tired of sewing clothes?

5. No, any
(a) There is't any food left on the table.
(b) There is no food left on the table.

6. Nobody, anybody
(a) We did't see anybody in the house.
(b) We saw nobody in the house.

7. None, any
(a) I asked Rafia for five rupees but she had none.
(b) I asked Rafia for five rupees but she hadn't any.

8. no one, anyone
(a) We can't trust anyone these days.
(b) We can trust no one these days.

9. no, any
(a) I looked every where but could't find any book stall.
(b) I looked every where but could find no book stall.

Proverb:
A short condensed saying in general use person or thing that is widely known.

Learn these proverbs and their meanings.
Charity begins at home - Be kind to relatives before showing kindness to strangers.

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - One person should be entitled to the same treatment as another person.

It is never too late to mend - However old a person is, it is not too late for him to reform.

Every cloud has a silver lining - However dark the present may seem the future holds something brighter.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush It is wiser to accept an offer now than to depend on a better offer you may have in the future.

Answer the following questions.

Q:1 What has every clod got? What does this proverb mean?
Ans: Every cloud has a silver lining. The proverb means, however dark the present may seem, the future holds something brighter.

Q:2 Where does charity begin?
Ans: Charity begins at home.

Q:3 What is worth two in the bush?
Ans: One in hand is worth two in the bush.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers